Designed just for historic houses! Ready-to-install traveling exhibit Gadgets Galore! Transforming the American Household invites visitors to engage with history and explore your historic house through the lenses of gadgets and technology.
Gadgets are an integral part of our everyday lives, and, often, objects that we take for granted. Gadgets Galore! encourages visitors to take a closer look at the historic gadgets in your historic house, and to consider how the gadgets of yesteryear informed our modern technology. From light bulbs to coffee makers, and from Velcro to mp3s, your visitors will connect the past with the present and engage with history through the scavenger hunt-style Gadgets Galore!
The 14 easy-to-install text panels focus on the Victorian-era homes so prevalent in California. However, historic homes from other eras will be able to easily re-tool this exhibit to fit their interpreted time period as well! The panels are designed to help interpret the living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, laundry, bathroom, library, and carriage house/garage, but can be comfortably displayed in various locations within the house or grounds.
- The invention cycle
- The role of advertising in consumerism
- Mass production and other innovations in manufacturing
- The development of the modern consumer
- How changes in technology lead to changes in lifestyle
Gadgets Galore! is a traveling exhibition for historic houses from Exhibit Envoy and Heather Farquhar. This exhibition is based on the initial iterations at the Hayward Area Historical Society and Los Altos History Museum.
- Families, General
- Rental Fee:
- $750 for 8 weeks + shipping via FedEx
- Installation Images:
- View Here
- 17 text panels (13 @ 20″W x 28″H and 4 @ 18″W x 14″H) connected to objects and themes commonly found in the living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, laundry, bathroom, and library
- Clear list of artifacts highlighted in the text panels to aid you in mining your own collection
- Easy-to-customize docent tour
- Suggestions for easy-to-implement, object-friendly interactives
- Printable scavenger hunt page to accompany the exhibit
- Social media templates and marketing materials
Schedule and Availability
June 20, 2021 – August 15, 2021
Loveland Museum/Gallery, Loveland, CO
August 29, 2021 – October 24, 2021
San Lorenzo Valley Museum, Boulder Creek, CA
November 7, 2021 – January 2, 2022
January 16, 2022 – March 13, 2022
Shasta Historical Society, Redding, CA
March 27, 2022 – May 22, 2022
Museum of North Idaho, Coeur d’Alene, ID
June 5, 2022 – October 9, 2022
Camron-Stanford House, Oakland, CA
October 23, 2022 – January 1, 2023 (10 weeks)
Boot Hill Museum, Dodge City, KS
January 15, 2023 – March 12, 2023
Hi-Desert Nature Museum, Yucca Valley, CA
March 26, 2023 – May 21, 2023
June 4, 2023 – July 30, 2023
August 13, 2023 – October 8, 2023
October 22, 2023 – December 17, 2023
This show will travel beyond 2023! Contact us to discuss booking dates for 2024+.